To begin my exploration of RSS feeds and Industry Blogs, I opted to use Feedly for my RSS reading platform. A page view in notecard style is presented below.
To start off my feed, I identified two students to follow. For my on-campus student, I chose Ivan Albino. For my online classmate I chose to follow Zachary Vernon. They are both students whom I would like to follow in the coming years.
For the other feeds, I actually selected several which allowed me to cover some of the primary areas of focus I feel are important to follow. Those areas are the events industry, social media & copyright, and technology & innovation.
Events Industry RSS Feeds:
- BizBash allows me to keep on top of the events industry from vendors to venues as well as who the current innovators are within the events industry.
- Event Manager Blog has a strong following of over 1K event managers and industry professionals as readers. This particular site places a greater emphasis on the “how” in the industry, as opposed to the “what”.
Social Media & Copyright:
- Social Media Examiner is a site that discusses the latest trends and innovations within social media and often speculates on the next direction of social media.
- Creative Commons News is a site I selected in order to remain on top of the ever-changing landscape of copyright issues and the varying Creative Commons licenses.
Technology & Innovation:
- Mashable has a diverse range of subjects from web 3.0, to phones and gadgets.
- Underwire is a subsidiary of Wired, which delves more into the media side of technology, as opposed to gadgets.